Joined: 06/28/2010 05:09:51
Thanks for buying a jetBook! eReaders are a great tool and they will certainly save you both time and money. See below for the FAQ with all your jetBook Questions. If you don't see something here then please feel free to ask! FAQ is in chronological order, as best as i could make anyway.
JB or JB-5 = jetBook
JBL = jetBook Lite
JBM = jetBook Mini
ADE = Adobe Digital Editions.
Buying a jetBook
1) Buying one is safest and fastest from www.ectaco.com. We can guaranty the authenticity of the item, firmware and Warranty.
2) Next you must select. jetBook ($179.95), jetBook Lite ($149.95), or jetBook Mini ($99.95). Lets make it easy.
-jetBook: Internal rechargeable battery, Music files are capable, 15 formats including ADE DRM, DRM ePub (Barnes & Noble) and others.
-jetBook Lite: 4 AA batteries, No music files, all the same formats plus 1 extra (eReader PDB). Has a small grip on the back where batteries go.
-jetBook Mini: 4 AAA batteries, No Music. Has TXT and FB2 file support (others through a free converter). Smaller & lighter then others.
3) Select a color accessories and your good to go! If you have questions about which to get email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 347-728-1354.
Firing up your jetBook for the first time
1) Put in batteries OR for jetBook Regular charge overnight.
2) Hold down the power button for 2-5 seconds.
3) Wait and you will see the main menu. It will have menu icons on it. (for jetBok Mini you will see your books)
Where to get books for your jetBook. This is the beauty of the jetBook. You have many options and are not limited to one site or online bookstore. This is the major downfall of Kindle, you HAVE to buy their books if you have a kindle!
1)For JB and JBL you can get the books almost anywhere besides Amazon.com. Just find a book, check its format and see if it will play (format compatibility below). For JBM you can download TXT or FB2. or others if you know how to convert book files.
2) For Free books try www.gutenberg.org (very Safe) And a list here http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/20-best-websites-to-download-free-e-books/ WARNING be careful with downloading from FREE sites you haven't heard. Make sure you know what you are doing to avoid viruses. Do NOT open any .exe files.
3) For paid books you can go anywhere. Go on Google and enter "eBooks" and you will get thousands of results. To be on the safe side we like www.barnesandnoble.com
Downloading the book and putting it on your jetBook
1) Download the book to your PC. Make sure it is a compatible format.
2) Locate the book on your PC. It might be in Start > Documents > My documents > My downloads.
3) Plug in your device to the PC.
4) Locate your device in the PC. Probably in start > "My computer". Or on your desktop find "my computer". It will show up as (e:\) or something of the sort.
5) Click on the book and move it from your computer to the jetBook. Move it to the "Books" folder. Just like if you wanted to move files to a Flash drive or External hard drive.
6) Safely disconnect the jetBook from the computer. See if the book is there and you are good to go.
7) If you are downloading an ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) book you must first download the ADE software. You can get it from this link. www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ See below for tips on using ADE.
Format compatibility Please note these CAN change with upgrades or firmware.
1) jetBook : ADE ePub, ADE pdf, DRM ePub, From B&N, DRM, Non-DRM .PRC, Non-DRM Mobi, RTF, TXT, HTML, PDF, FB2, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP.
2) jetBook Lite: ADE ePub, ADE pdf, DRM ePub, From B&N, DRM,DRM .PDB aka eReader from Fictionwise, Non-DRM .PRC, Non-DRM Mobi, RTF, TXT, HTML, PDF, FB2, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP.
3) jetBook Mini: TXT and FB2. You can convert LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF using Calibre to TXT and FB2.
1) ADE ePub: This file type shows up as .ascm. You must download it to your jetBook through ADE. http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
2) ADE pdf. Same as above.
3) DRM ePub. From Barnes & Noble. Usually must enter CC info for you to open a book. Name on CC without spaces and then CC number after.
4) DRM .PDB aka eReader from Fictionwise.
5) Non-DRM .PRC
6) Non-DRM Mobi
9) PDF: Very popular. Can show up as text or a picture file. If a picture you can read any language.
11) JPG: An image file
12) GIF: An image file
13) PNG: An image file
14) BMP: An image file
15) HTML: A file generated from a website.
Adobe Digital Editions Help.
Most everything you need to know about using ADE will be at this link. http://www.jetbook.net/adobedrm.php?refid=29532
If i missed something that you think should be in this guide send me a PM by clicking on the the button below.
If you need some further technical help please contact email@example.com. Hope this helps!
This message was edited 13 times. Last update was at 11/12/2010 14:34:46